Society for Vascular Medicine 2017 Annual Meeting Travel Award
The Society for Vascular Medicine offers travel award awards to promote the interest of younger vascular clinicians and other practitioners, and vascular researchers to attend the SVM annual meeting. This is designed to facilitate participation for those experiencing financial hardship. The travel awards are supported by voluntary contributions from SVM members and/or corporate support. Funds to support travel have certain restrictions as to how they may be spent by the award recipient.
- To cultivate interest in the field of vascular medicine (and related vascular research)
- To encourage trainees, clinicians and practitioners to increase their knowledge of vascular medicine
Application Deadline -- February 17, 2017
Winners Notified -- Week of March 13, 2017
Meeting Dates -- June 14 - 17, 2017
Eligibility & Applications
- Young investigators, interested clinicians (residents, fellows, and early career physicians), nurses and technologists are encouraged to apply.
- Candidates are selected on the basis of their experience and goals in vascular medicine and related vascular research, their ability to benefit from participation in the annual meeting, and financial need.
- The travel award application process is open to SVM members and non-members who have not previously received an SVM travel award.
- The application includes a statement of need that explains the impact or importance of attending this meeting, the applicant’s current curriculum vitae, estimate of expenses (in U.S. dollars) to travel to the SVM Annual Meeting, and a letter of support including a statement of need. Residents and other trainees should also include a letter of introduction from their training directors.
- Applications are available here and from SVM headquarters.
- Travel Award recipients must provide a written summary of how attendance at the SVM Annual Meeting benefited their professional growth in vascular medicine within 30 days of completion of the meeting. Reimbursements will be issued upon receipt of the written summary.
Selection takes into account the total pool of funds available and how much support is requested by the applicant to ensure attendance.
Criteria for trainees may include:
- Prior experiences specific to vascular medicine training (or research)
- Likelihood that attending will impact their practicing vascular medicine (or conducting vascular related research) in the future
- The availability of other support to attend the meeting.
Criteria for practicing physicians or other practitioner may include:
- People in early- or mid-career who provide medical care for patients with vascular disease
- The magnitude of the impact attending the conference would have on the applicant’s delivery of care.
Other selection criteria may include geographic distribution and the impact upon the promotion of the field of vascular medicine.
Ideally, final selections should include clinically active practitioners, resident/fellowship trainees, and research trainees.
Travel award recipients receive the following:
- Up to $1,000 in support of travel, lodging and expenses to attend the annual meeting. The amount of the award will be based on the cost of travel from their location.
- Complimentary registration to Scientific Sessions.
- A meeting with SVM leadership.